October 15-16, 2011

Come visit these beautiful studios yourself on October 15-16, 2011 in Loveland Colorado! Please visit www.lovelandartstudiotour.com

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Abbie R Powers


Abbie R. Powers
camelhairandhoney

310 N Railroad Ave

Ste 107

Visit This Studio Oct 12 & 13 and 19 & 20 from 10-5pm~ www.lovelandartstudiotour.com

www.abbierpowers.wix.com/artist

"I truly believe we can overwhelm the darkness of this world by shining something brighter and more beautiful." -- Shane Claiborne The Irresistible Revolution
Using materials from our everyday experience, I question what we hold important in our lives. It is important for me to engage the viewer with the joy and beauty there is to experience in this world. I use found and collected materials that I am able to transform into organic sets of objects that ultimately reflect the natural world, begging one to heighten their awareness of the beauty to be had in this world. I also use my body as material, staging a performance or creating a video in which I interact with a set of materials, often including sound. This allows me to provide the viewer with a deeper level of interaction that involves several senses.
I am also the fiber artist behind camelhairandhoney, LLC, a line of heirloom quality, handmade fiber arts products.


Name: Abbie R Powers

What is your favorite medium to work with? mixed media, fiber, string, paper, wax, natural materials, performance/movement, video, sound, the body, color

What cheers you up? being under the sky, touching trees, dirt on my hands, snowflakes on a crisp day, how the ocean feels on my skin

Which of the four seasons do you love the most and why? fall because it leads right in to winter and both are so crisp and fresh...

Describe your studio in less than 5 words: texture, color, fiber, body, womb

What is your favorite part about your studio? how it feels to open the door on a new day full of possibilities, full of ideas, full of materials...

Little know fact about you as an artist? all of my work is intimately connected to the body

Did you go to art school or are you self taught? I attended art school for a BS in studio arts and an MFA in sculpture.

How did you become an artist? I've been making things since I was a small child. My mother was a painter and my father a builder. I took a design class as a freshman in college and never looked back.

Where is your favorite spot in Loveland and why? under that big lazy lumpy tree in the park, next to the ponds, under the sky, by the river

If you could interview one person in the world, who would it be? Eva Hesse, Ana Mendieta, Hannah Wilke (I know, I have problems following the rules)



No comments:

Post a Comment