October 15-16, 2011

Come visit these beautiful studios yourself on October 15-16, 2011 in Loveland Colorado! Please visit www.lovelandartstudiotour.com

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ingrid Vb. Porter

Loveland Art Studio Tour Artist Interview!  

Ingrid vB. Porter is a new artist here is Loveland, recently transplanted from the Denver Art Scene!  She will also be featured this weekend at The Loveland Feed & Grain's Install:Story    
 
Be sure to visit her home studio in downtown Loveland during the Loveland Art Studio Tour on October 13 & 14 and October 19 & 20th!  More information can be found at www.lovelandartstudiotour.com
 
Name:  Ingrid vB. Porter
 
Studio Address: 706 N Grant Ave

 
What is your favorite medium to work with? transparent layers of acrylic paint
 
What cheers you up? Raucous Celtic music.  Hosting a house full of friends.  Watching wild creatures being wild.  Clouds.
 
Which of the four seasons do you love the most and why?  Early spring when mornings are still a bit frosty, but the sun is warm, the first green shoots of spinach appear in my garden, and everything smells damp and earthy.  The world is waking up, stretching, and I always feel that I'm doing the same.
 
Describe your studio in less than 5 words:  Calm.  Quiet.  Peaceful.  Hot Tea.
 
What is your favorite part about your studio?  That after years of working at the dining room table or in a converted Tuff Shed, we finally have a dedicated studio space!
 
Little know fact about you as an artist?  My husband and I have formed the habit of playing a CD of Chopin's Nocturnes when we first start work in the studio.  We refer to it as the "start music".  It immediately puts me in a quiet, centered state of mind.
 
Did you go to art school or are you self taught?  It's a little scattered - I tend to get excited about new things and head off in whatever direction seems interesting.  I majored in art (oil painting) at Colorado College.  Took a couple graphic design classes in Philadelphia.  I spent a semester in Dublin, Ireland where I fell in love with all the ancient metalwork, which led to studying metalsmithing at Adams State College.  Years later, I studied art therapy at the University of New Mexico.  Since then, I've taken an occassional painting class at the Art Student's League in Denver.
 
How did you become an artist?  I didn't take a formal art class until college, but have always loved making - I'm most happy when I'm doing something with my hands.  My mom tells me that as a child, I wasn't content to just look at something, but would repeat "I gotta see it" until she put it in my hands.
 
Where is your favorite spot in Loveland and why?  I've only lived in LoLa for about 3 months, so it's hard to know yet, but Anthology Books is an early favorite - it has that living-room-away-from-home feel!
 
If you could interview one person in the world, who would it be?  Mike Scott of The Waterboys.  I've been listening to his music for nearly 30 years and I never get tired of it.  Celtic influences and literary references.  Spirituality in the biggest possible sense.  Haunting.  Soothing.  Magic. I'd probably be too intimidated to get a word out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment