October 15-16, 2011

Come visit these beautiful studios yourself on October 15-16, 2011 in Loveland Colorado! Please visit www.lovelandartstudiotour.com

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Eric L. Porter


 Eric Porter just recently moved to Loveland and will be participating in the Studio Tour for the first time! 
Here are Eric's Answers the 2013 LAST questioner!  Be sure to visit his home studio in downtown Loveland during the Loveland Art Studio Tour on October 13 & 14 and October 19 & 20th!  More information can be found at www.lovelandartstudiotour.com


Eric is also featured this weekend at the Loveland Feed & Grain event: Install:Story  - check out his book collaboration with his wife Ingrid~ Friday 9/12 from 6-9pm and Saturday 9/13 from 11-7pm


Name:
Eric L Porter




 


What is your favorite medium to work with?
graphite/conte on paper




What cheers you up?
punk rock or a swingin' jazz quartet

Which of the four seasons do you love the most and why?
Autumn:  plants start to go to sleep and display their amazing colors...the air gets chilly...sweaters...Halloween and Samhain

Describe your studio in less than 5 words:
Time out of time

What is your favorite part about your studio?
The unfettered thoughts; the senses of awareness and possibility; this is the one arena in which I feel completely confident, even when I'm struggling.

Little known fact about you as an artist?
One of my favorite pieces is a desk blotter from 1995.  I was at a crappy temp job, and I documented each day's activities as a self-portrait-in-action, using ballpoint pens and highlighters.

Did you go to art school or are you self taught?
I graduated from CSU Visual Arts and have taken some drawing/painting courses at Denver's Art Students League.  Practice, practice, practice....

How did you become an artist?
Like many artists, I always had a knack for drawing.  My lovely grandmother worked at a paper factory, and she always provided reams of office paper.  This was paradise for a little kid:  unlimited materials!

Despite my love of drawing, I didn't have a formal art class until high school, where I was very fortunate to have an amazing art teacher who saw my capabilities and encouraged them.  On our first day I sat my sophomore butt on a chair in a semi-darkened room, which was illuminated by a black light.  Pat Abbott made a rambunctious entrance, telling us we were going to make ART and it would be an AMAZING and THRILLING experience, as she spray-painted the word 'ART' on a wall with neon paint.  Who wouldn't want to be an artist after that?!?

Where is your favorite spot in Loveland and why?
My wife and I moved to LoLa only a few months ago.  Right now our favorite spot is in the company of new and interesting people.

If you could interview one person in the world, who would it be?
Jasper Fforde -- his imagination roars and soars in his writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment