October 15-16, 2011

Come visit these beautiful studios yourself on October 15-16, 2011 in Loveland Colorado! Please visit www.lovelandartstudiotour.com

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ferally Normal Clayworks

From Jan Igaki with Ferally Normal Clayworks - be sure to visit their website! http://igakipottery.com/






"Me in two words....  Happy.  (that's one)  And maybe Busy.  (and that makes me happy, I guess)
My studio in two words: sunny & small (and I love it!)
My favorite thing to do in Loveland: walk in the sculpture park near my home. 
Little known fact:  Up until 5 years ago, I was working in the biotech industry at Amgen.  I worked in cell biology & immunochemistry there for 16 years.  I am a Ph.D dropout (it was the right choice for me). 
My husband Hideharu was the Head Coach of the USA Karate Team (under the USOC) until he resigned about a year ago.  Now he heads up the Grass Roots Karate Program for younger athletes to get them ready for international competition.  He's been awarded Coach of the Year by the Olympic Committee - twice. 
We keep trying to get our website all made over & pretty, but our business keeps changing.  After several years of traveling the country (setting up our tent at art shows in rain, snow, wind, dust...you name it, and dodging tornadoes in the midwest, microbursts in the mountains, winos in Denver), we went in with a few friends & opened a permanent wholesale showroom at the Denver Merchandise Mart a year ago. 
What a difference!  No traveling, no lugging tubs full of pottery all over the place, plus I get to spend more time in my studio making things.  I do miss the contact with our customers, and with other artists, though.  We have a couple of local shows coming up this holiday season: 
  • Osborn Pumpkin Farm, just south of downtown Loveland, Oct 1st & 2nd
  • Christmas in Colorado, Nov 111-12, in Denver at the Grant Humphries Mansion in Denver
  • Holiday Show &Sale (juried) at the Lakewood Cultural Center, Lakewood, CO, Nov 18-Dec 22
  • HART, the Holiday Art Market (juried) at the Foothills Art Center in Golden CO, Nov 19-Dec 30
  • Arvada Center Holiday Art Market (juried), Arvada, CO, Dec 8-18
  • You can always find our work in Trimble Court in Old Town Fort Collins. 
We mostly make functional serving pieces - plates, platters, bowls, etc.  All of our work is food-safe, as well as microwave & dishwasher safe.  I make it this way because I love to cook.  And I don't like fussing around with platters & bowls that have to be babied.  I figure that other cooks don't like to fuss either.  Have you ever walked into a kitchen store & seen a gorgeous platter with a tag that says, "Not for food use"?  That makes no sense to me.   
I hope you'll visit us in our studio. "

No comments:

Post a Comment